Saturday, October 30, 2010

“To learn and never be filled, is wisdom; to teach and never be weary, is love.”




So I finally finished my unit on patterns. Teaching math is not any easier than learning math, thats what I am learning from this experience. I am teaching algebra to kindergarteners and if I had to do anything else with repeating patterns I think I would scream.


We have copied patterns, created them, and
designed bracelets by creating a pattern using crayons and then matching the beads and stringing them. We read this book:








and played a memory game based on it
where the kids had to find a match and name
the pattern









We also wrapped up the unit by creating books


That picture is the pattern "grass-cow-grass-cow". They used a different way to create a pattern on each page and had the freedom to create patterns that were different than just a-b-a-b. It worked out perfectly to wrap everything up, work on their sounding out of words and their ability to recognize and create patterns.
We also used this book before we made books:


Which I am hoping to use for one of the next three lessons when I move up to the second grade. Growing patterns are no fun so far though so hopefully I will be able to figure out three lessons worth of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment